Sometimes a few drinks at night can end up in a hangover the next morning. There are lots of theories and tried and true methods for curing a hangover. In truth, the only way to cure a hangover is limit the number of drinks you have.
Thirteen Hangover Cures and Hints
1. The hair of the dog – i.e. drink more of what you drank the night before.
2. The French drink thick and hot onion soup the morning after.
3. In Switzerland they drink a shot of brandy with a hint of peppermint.
4. In Russia they try heavily salted cucumber juice and black bread soaked in water.
5. In Norway they recommend double cream.
6. In Outer Mongolia they recommend a pickled sheep’s eye in a glass of tomato juice. Can I say yuck?
7. In Haiti they cure a hangover by sticking thirteen black-headed pins into the cork of a bottle that got you that way.
8. Don’t mix alcohol types.
9. Carbonated drinks affect people faster i.e. those bottles of bubbles.
10. Drink a pint of lightly-salted water before going to bed.
11. Drink an isotonic sports drink but not the fizzy, carbonated kind.
12. Eat a banana, honey and peanut butter sandwich. The honey and banana contain potassium and glucose. Bananas contain magnesium, which may help to relax the blood vessels in the head.
13. Go for a brisk walk or have a long and hot powerful shower. The powerful shower is to relax the muscles and helps if you’re a fiend on the dance floor between drinks. A hot bath will also help.
Do you have a favored hangover cure?
Source: Her Magazine, December/January 2011 and Hangover Cures by Ben Reed