Going out with someone new can be nerve-racking and stressful. I’m currently researching a new story where first dates are involved, and here are some commonsense suggestions I’ve discovered to get through that date without breaking a sweat. I’ll definitely be using these in my fictional first date…or not!
1. Don’t call it a date. Keep it casual and keep the pressure off.
2. Limit the length of the date. If the date is a disaster, it’s best not to prolong it! Choose an activity such as coffee or a walk in the park or go for a drink.
3. Have a backup plan in case something goes wrong.
4. Don’t be late. It sets a bad impression.
5. Agree on what to wear so neither of you are surprised when you meet for the date.
6. Groom appropriately i.e. wear a deodorant and make sure you don’t still have lunch stuck in your teeth.
7. Don’t drink too much alcohol.
8. Be assertive without being aggressive. Make decisions but don’t be too bossy!
9. Go somewhere quiet so that you can hear each other talk and get to know each other.
10. Don’t talk about your ex! No one wants to hear about the one who got away.
11. Offer compliments if there is something about your date that you like.
12. Don’t do all the talking. Listen as well.
I didn’t date that much, since I met my husband when I was quite young, but I do remember a first date where the guy reeked of garlic and wanted to kiss. Yuck!
Do you have any advice for first dates or any first date horror stories?