Bella, our dog is a Jack Russell, and our first dog Scotty was a fox terrier. Both came from the Humane Society and were of mixed parentage i.e. they both have a mystery element in their background. Hubby and I like terriers because they’re small and intelligent with big personalities.
Thirteen Facts About Terriers
1. Most breeds of terriers were developed in Great Britain.
2. They were bred to catch rats, rabbits, foxes and badgers (larger terriers). They hunted both above and under ground.
3. They’re excellent for vermin control. Scotty was a champion mouser, and if any came inside she sniffed them out. I was the one who stood on a chair.
4. Terriers range in size. Our fox terrier was fine boned while Bella is a sturdy wee thing. You know when she plops on your lap.
5. The term terrier is latin and it means earth.
6. 26 types of terriers are recognized in the US.
7. Terriers are brave and confident and make great watchdogs.
8. They’re also stubborn!
9. Sometimes their bravery gets them in trouble since they won’t back down, even if the other dog is much bigger.
10. Terriers are intelligent.
11. They like to keep very busy and get bored if left alone with some sort of activity. The boredom tips over into chewing and digging.
12. They might be small, but they need a lot of exercise. I always get tired before Bella starts lagging.
13. They’re personality plus.
Are you a dog person? If so, what breed do you prefer?