· pumpkin, diced in bite-size cubes
· cumin seeds
· cooking oil
· feta cheese
· chopped red onion
· olives, black or green
· can of cooked chickpeas
· green beans, sliced
· vinaigrette dressing [balsamic is really good]
1. Sprinkle the cumin seeds and oil on the pumpkin and roast in the oven until browned and cooked. Place cooked pumpkin in a large bowl.
2. Slice the onion and add to the pumpkin.
3. Add the drained chickpeas and olives to the pumpkin.
4. Boil the green beans until cooked and add to the pumpkin.
5. Cube feta and add.
6. Dress with vinaigrette, toss lightly and serve either hot or cold.
7. Vary the quantities of each ingredient above to suit the number of diners. Use lemon juice as an alternative to vinaigrette. Balsamic vinaigrette works nicely with this salad. Serve as either a salad or a side dish.
1. Substitute some of the pumpkin for potato or kumara (sweet potato). Sometimes I also bake small onions and cloves of garlic as well, which is very tasty.
2. This is a great dish for vegetarians or it can be used as a salad or side dish for meat-eaters.
That sounds really interesting, although I would have to use a different cheese…I don’t like feta at all.
The thing about this salad is that the ingredients can be changed around to suit taste. Cubes of cheddar or even cream cheese would work.