Writing is hard work. Most people don’t realize how difficult it is and the amount of dedication, determination and sheer sweat that goes into a completed manuscript. There’s no easy way to become published, but here’s a little advice for aspiring writers.
1. Read. Read as much as you can in all different genres. By reading you get a feel for pacing and the things you like or enjoy in a book. A book you don’t enjoy can teach you just as much. Reading helps you keep up with market trends, the things that are popular or you might discover a genre you’ve never thought of writing before. I cannot stress how important reading is to the writer.
2. Write. Sit down every day and write. Make writing a habit. The actual doing is a great way of learning.
3. Join a group of writers. Writing is a solitary occupation. No one can do it for you, but no one understands the trials and tribulations as much as another writer. Romance Writers of America is a good group to join for those who want to write romance since they have chapters all over America. New Zealand and Australia have their own romance writing groups. Romance Divas is an awesome group you can participate in via internet from the comfort of your home. There are other groups available for mystery and science fiction/fantasy writers.
4. Don’t try to copy writers who have gone before you. Dare to be different. Put your own slant on your book. Make it original. Make it your own.
5. Don’t quit the day job. As I said writing is hard work. You have to write the book and then you have to sell it. Following the path of a writer won’t make you rich.
6. Never give up!
Do you have any tips for aspiring writers?