Our lemon tree produced a bumper crop this year, so I decided to try out this recipe for Lemon Slice. It’s very like a Key Lime Pie in that the ingredients are similar, but the taste and texture is quite different.
1 1/2 cups of plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup brown sugar
125 grams melted butter (1/2 cup)
1. Combine the dry ingredients with the melted butter and mix well
2. Press mixture into a tin lined with baking paper. The recipe suggests a 27cm x 18cm x 3 cm. I just grabbed a tin out of the cupboard.
3. Bake the crust in a preheated oven for 10 minutes (180C – 160C if fan forced – 350F)
400g can condensed milk
1 Tablespoon grated lemon zest
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 Tablespoons plain flour
1. Place the condensed milk in a bowl and beat in the eggs. About one minute.
2. Add the lemon zest, lemon juice and flour and beat until combined.
3. Pour over the base.
4. Return to the oven and bake for 20 – 25 minutes or until topping is set.
5. Cool and dust with icing sugar (powdered sugar/confectioner’s sugar) before serving.
1. I cooked my slice for exactly 20 minutes. Next time I make this recipe I’ll check it at 15 minutes. I think my slice was slightly overcooked, but it still tasted good.
Are you a fan of lemons? What is your favorite lemon recipe?
My mouth actually watered during this post. :)