During the last couple of weeks I’ve tripped across lots of quotes by Mae West. Wow! She was a fascinating lady, and one who has left a legacy of some great quotes that cut straight to the heart of the subject, whatever that may be.
1. Mae West was born Mary Jane West on 17 August 1893 in Woodhaven, New York, US. She died on 22 November 1980 at age 87 in Los Angeles, California, US. West made a name for herself in vaudeville and on the stage in New York before moving to Hollywood to become a comedian, actress and writer in the motion picture industry. Here’s a link to some photos of Mae West. She was famous for her large number of quips, some by herself and others by her characters. Below are some of my favorites from the lady who said, “I used to be Snow White, but I drifted.”
2. His mother should have thrown him away and kept the stork.
3. Marriage is a great institution, but I’m not ready for an institution yet.
4. A man in the house is worth two in the street.
5. When I’m good, I’m very good. When I’m bad, I’m better.
6. Every man I meet wants to protect me. I can’t figure out what from.
7. I never worry about diets. The only carrots that interest me are the number you get in a diamond.
8. I’m no model lady. A model’s just an imitation of the real thing.
9. Look your best – who said love is blind?
10. Ten men waiting for me at the door? Send one of them home, I’m tired.
11. I like my clothes to be tight enough to show I’m a woman… but loose enough to show I’m a lady.
12. Men are my hobby, if I ever got married I’d have to give it up.
13. You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Have I missed any of your favorites or is your favorite one of the above?
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others’ comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants