I was thinking this morning about the ways in which people are rich. Here’s what I came up with.
Thirteen Ways to Get Rich
1. Money – that’s the obvious one, not that money necessarily makes you happier as a person. Money makes life easier.
2. Family – people who stand in your corner and love you no matter what mistakes you make.
3. Friends – people who will stand with you and protect your back. Friends are people who you don’t have to pretend with, who know you’re hurting and are ready to help. Friends take the good and the bad times and share them with you.
4. Pets – lead a richness to life that is under estimated. All my little dog wants is food, shelter and a pat. She makes me laugh even when she’s just had an accident on the floor.
5. Children – they’re your chance to make a mark on the world, to carry on your name and make you proud. They can also come in handy when you’re old and need looking after.
6. A lover – there’s nothing better than strong arms to hold you close at night.
7. Shelter – it doesn’t need to be fancy, but a way to keep warm and dry.
8. Good health – so you can enjoy the small things.
9. Food – to survive, and if your larder includes chocolate all the better, I say.
10. Music – to bring a beat to a celebration, big or small.
11. A sunny day – it’s winter in New Zealand. A little sunshine always makes a good day better.
12. Freedom – this should be a basic right. Every person should have room to fly.
13. Books – to enrich the mind. Hey, this is my list, and I think a book is priceless.
What do you think makes a person rich?