Many years ago, around 8.00pm, I’m told, I came into the world kicking and screaming. Yes, today is my birthday, so I thought age was a very appropriate topic for my Thursday Thirteen today.
Thirteen Age Quotes
1. I was surprised when I started getting old. I always thought it was one of those things that would happen to someone else. ~ George Carlin, Brain Dropping 1997
2. I am in the prime of senility. ~ Benjamin Franklin
3. You’re not old until it takes you longer to rest up than it does to get tired. ~ Phog Allen, Kansas basketball coach
4. He says he’s young at heart – but slightly older in other places. ~ Anon.
5. Old is always fifteen years from now. ~ Bill Cosby
6. One day you look in the mirror and you realize that the face you are shaving is your father’s. ~ Robert Harris, Sunday Times 1996
7. One should never trust a woman who tells one her real age. A woman who would tell one that, would tell one anything. ~ Oscar Wilde, A Woman of No Importance, 1893
8. The four stages of man are infancy, childhood, adolescence and obsolescence. ~ Art Linkletter, A Child’s Garden of Misinformation, 1965
9. First thing I do when I wake up in the morning is breathe on the mirror and hope it fogs. ~ Earl Wynn, Hall of Fame pitcher
10. The old believe everything: the middle-aged suspect everything: the young know everything. ~ Oscar Wilde, Phrases and Philosophies for the Use of the Young, 1894
11. As we grow older, our bodies get shorter and our anecdotes longer. ~ Robert Quillen, American author
12. Just when I finally got my head together, my body fell apart. ~ Anon
13. Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional. ~ Anon
I admit that sometimes I wish I were in my twenties again. I’d do a few things differently i.e. start writing much earlier than I did, but on the whole getting older isn’t too bad. The wrinkles can be a little scary, but it’s easy enough to avoid mirrors :-)
Does getting older worry you? Which of the above quotes is your favorite?
I can so relate to #12 right now. Happy Birthday!
Yes, unfortunately those aches and pains start to creep in…
LOL! These are great quotes Shelley!!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY! *throws confetti* Hope it’s awesome for you.
Thanks, Jennifer :)
I find it hard to pick my fav. They all made me laugh. Thanks for the birthday wishes.
Feeling your years? Happy birthday anyway.
I love #4. Well, they’re all good.
No, not really. At heart I’m still that 20 year old.
Happy Birthday to you! I loved all the quotes. I try not to think about my age. ;)
Brinda, me too, but some people like to keep reminding me! Personally, I like to think of age as a state of mind. Thanks for the birthday wishes.
Happy birthday, Shelley darling! I hope it’s a great day filled with CAKE.
Thanks, Susan! I’ve had lots of chocolate.
My TT is at http://paigetylertheauthor.blogspot.com/
They are all pretty funny. I get worried because now I need reading glasses….I can’t read the small print anymore.
Ah, I know that feeling well. Sometimes finding the glasses is a problem too! Thanks for the birthday wishes.
I don’t think I’d want to be in my 20’s again, but it would be useful to double-up on my 30’s and have this decade over again as an extention of what I’ve already learned. There’s so much I’d love to get done before everything changes in my coming 40’s.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY! :)
13 Pieces of Eye Candy
I enjoyed my twenties. I married young and hubby and I went overseas traveling. We had a great time.
Well Happy Birthday ya youthful rapscallion!
The quote above that I can’t help loving is:
Just when I finally got my head together, my body fell apart. ~ Anon
How did Anon get in my head?
That’s a great quote, isn’t it? Anon sneaked into my head too :)
I like numbers 1, 5 and 12! So true. Thanks for posting.
You’re welcome, Gerri :)
Happy Birthday, Shelley.
Thanks for the Tweet about the contest.
No.6 rings true for me, but I love anything by Oscar Wilde: such as “The only good thing about lying in the gutter is that there’s no place to go, but up.”
I’ve muttered that to myself once or twice in the passing years and always succeededded.
I guess I’ll be old when I don’t.
Thanks, Amy. That’s a great quote. I like it.
and thanks for the quotes. They made me smile … ah no! more crinkle wrinkles!
LOL – smile wrinkles don’t count. Thanks, Jenny.
Happy Birthday Shelley. For me #12 is so true.
Even though it hurts getting older, I take every day I live as a gift from God. Too many times, I should have died, so life is a blessing for me.
#2 is my favorite.
My T13: http://angelgrahamauthor.wordpress.com/2011/12/08/thursday-thirteen-december-8-2011/
Angel, I totally agree that life is a blessing despite getting older. This year two different friends died suddenly. They were around my age and it was way too soon for them to go. It certainly made me value each day.
Happy Birthday, Shelley!
Love the Ben Franklin quote.
Thanks, Heather. :)
“One should never trust a woman who tells one her real age. A woman who would tell one that, would tell one anything. ~ Oscar Wilde, A Woman of No Importance, 1893”
Oh, Oscar – I wouldn’t tell just *anything* – I’ll only tell the most interesting stuff. ;)
Happy Belated TT! :)