Today I’m reviewing a vegetarian cook book.
Fifty scrumptious and savory soup recipes for any season
These time-tested, easy-to-manage recipes for soups of all flavors have one thing in common: loads of healthy vegetables. Whether you’re looking for a hearty supper or a light weekday lunch, Fix-It and Forget-It Vegetarian Soups offers delicious choices to make in your slow cooker or on your stovetop, such as:
Vegan Chili· Corn Chowder· Homemade Vegetable Soup· Sweet Potato and Ginger Soup
And much more!
As the title suggests, this book contains a collection of vegetarian recipes for soups, stews and chilis. The recipes are from home cooks and most of them are perfect to cook in a crockpot/slow cooker.
What I liked about this book:
1. The recipes give an indication of preparation and cooking times.
2. The ingredients were all things I’d find in my fridge or pantry.
3. As a New Zealander I often find American recipes use measurements that I need to convert. This book is easy to follow with no maths required. Measurements used are cups and spoons.
4. The recipes were appealing. I’d be happy to try most of them, and they weren’t overly complicated.
5. They’re mostly recipes that can be made ahead and are perfect for busy cooks.
6. It’s a vegetarian cook book!
What I didn’t like about this book:
1. The title suggests that there are soups, stews and chilli recipes. While this is true, the majority of the recipes are for soup with only about four chilli recipes and one or two stews.
2. Not every recipe has a photo to go with it. I think that most cooks like a photo so that they can compare their final dish with the one in the recipe book. At least that’s what I do when I’m cooking. I like to think that my dish turns out just like the one in the book.
This is a handy and inexpensive book to have in your cooking library. It would be a great gift for a busy parent or maybe a student who flats and doesn’t have much time to make nutritious dishes. It would also be excellent for a beginner cook since the instructions are clear and concise.
Received via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
Purchase Fix-It and Forget-it Vegetable Soups, Stews and Chilis