The combo of orange and chocolate is delicious and one that I enjoy very much. The following slice recipe is a winner since it hits both notes. This recipe comes from the book Robyn Martin Bakes.
150 grams/5 ounces butter
1 tablespoon golden syrup
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons grated orange rind
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup crushed Weetbix (4 Weetbix)
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons cocoa
Choc Orange Frosting:
1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
1 cup icing sugar/confectioner’s sugar
1 tablespoon cocoa
1 tablespoon orange juice
1. Melt the butter, golden syrup and brown sugar in a saucepan. To save time and dishes use a large pot.
2. Take off the heat and mix in the walnuts, orange rind and weetbix. Add the flour, cocoa and baking powder and combine well.
3. Line the base of a shallow tin with baking paper and press the mixture into the tin.
4. Bake at 180C/350F for 20 minutes or until lightly golden. Frost with the Choc Orange frosting.
Method for Frosting:
1. Mix the condensed milk, icing sugar, cocoa and orange juice until smooth. Spread over base and leave to set.
1. The frosting is quite runny but it does set. Cut the slice once the frosting has set.
2. Eat and enjoy! The slice goes great with a cup of tea.
I had to “Google” weetbix since we don’t have that here. But this looks really good.
You probably have something similar in the US. I know the UK have weetabix. Corn flakes would work just as well. You have those, right?
Love the combination of orange and chocolate! I too was wondering about weetbix. So basically Wheaties (or similar) cereal?