Today’s Thursday Thirteen is brought to you by the color blue. (because it’s my favorite)
1. Blue is my favorite color. I like it because it’s calming. There’s nothing better than looking at the sky on a day when there are no clouds. The clear color just makes me smile. I also have blue eyes.
2. Pantone has selected the color Blue Iris (PANTONE 18-3943) as the 2008 Color of the Year telling us: “Combining the stable and calming aspects of blue with the mystical and spiritual qualities of purple, Blue Iris satisfies the need for reassurance in a complex world, while adding a hint of mystery and excitement.”
3. In Iran, blue is the color of mourning while in the West the something blue bridal tradition represents love.
4. Blue conveys importance and confidence without being somber or sinister, hence the blue power suit of the corporate world and the blue uniforms of police officers. Long considered a corporate color, blue, especially darker blue, is associated with intelligence, stability, unity, and conservatism. From the About.com site.
5. Blue is a favorite color of both men and women of all ages. However, men have a much stronger preference for blue than women. It may be the calming effect of the color blue that makes it a popular color for both men and women or it could be the association of some shades of blue with authority figures, intelligence, and stability. About.com
6. You can feel blue, which isn’t a good thing. My Oxford dictionary says blue in this context means nervous, depressed, melancholy, dismal.
7. In Australia you can have a “blue” which means you argue or row with someone.
8. Once in a blue moon – a saying that means scarce or hardly ever or a rare event.
9. Blue moon can also mean an extra full moon in a year. Generally there are twelve full moons per year, one per month. Every two or three years there is an extra full moon due to the eleven extra days in each year.
10. There’s a song Blue Moon. Here’s the 1961 version by The Marcels.
11. Blue gemstones promote peace and are used to calm ragged emotions. They are used to provide relief to people who have difficulty sleeping or who have nightmares. They offer inspiration and enhance the quality of communication. Check out the meaning of other colored gemstones here.
12. What color are you? A quiz – surprisingly I was yellow :?:
13. Something can happen “out of the blue” meaning the something happened without warning. You can be “between the devil and the deep blue sea” which means you’re in an impossible situation.
Have I missed any common blue sayings or things? Oh, I just thought of something blue – The Blues Brothers. Man, I love that movie.
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others’ comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants