This week I read about a British couple who have recently celebrated eighty years of marriage. I think this is amazing. Their story inspired me to search for ways to make a marriage last through the years.
1. Spend at least 10 minutes a day focused on one another without the distraction of your kids, the TV, the phone etc.
2. Say I love you. My hubby will ring up and tell me just out of the blue. It always makes me feel good.
3. Affirm something your spouse said or did and say something nice.
4. Laugh together.
5. Don’t criticize your spouse.
6. Kiss your spouse in the morning, before leaving the house, when you go to bed, and several other times during the day and evening.
7. Do a few things together, like working in the yard, taking a walk, watching a favorite movie or planning and cooking dinner.
8. Fight fair.
9. Be willing to forgive.
10. Plan and have a date with one another.
11. Don’t try to change your spouse. Note – it doesn’t work! He can’t change me either. :grin:
12. Don’t expect your spouse to be a mind reader and don’t try to be a mind reader.
13. Accept that there will be some small issues that you two will never resolve and that it’s normal in successful marriages.
I’m sure there are heaps of other things I haven’t mentioned. If you have another suggestion, please add it in the comments section.
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others’ comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants