I was thinking about inventions yesterday, and all the things I’m glad that some intelligent person or persons invented. Here are some of my favorites.
1. Hot and cold running water – I think one of life’s simple pleasures is a hot shower. I love being able to walk to a tap for a glass of water. I’ve done quite a bit of traveling in countries where people don’t have this luxury. Hot and cold running water is something that I never take for granted.
2. iPods – my iPod is the most basic sort you can buy, but I love it. I like being able to carry all my favorite songs with me where ever I go.
3. wheels – I love cycling every day. I love my orange and black bicycle. It would look pretty funny with square wheels and probably wouldn’t work very well either!
4. telephones – the ability to keep contact with friends and family all over the world is pretty amazing. Of course, sometimes the telephone is a PITA but on the whole, I think it’s an excellent invention.
5. chocolate – whoever managed to turn the cocoa bean into luscious chocolate has my vote.
6. ebooks – I like the immediacy of them, being able to download an ebook at any time of the day or night and the ability to take lots of books on holiday without breaking my back with a case of books.
7. washing machine – it makes washing day a breeze instead of an all day thing.
8. BBQ – nothing tastes better than a BBQ meal, eaten outside on a beautiful night.
9. computers – a computer makes writing so much easier. I can’t imagine what it must have been like typing a manuscript on a typewriter or by hand.
10. dishwasher – hubby and I didn’t have a dishwasher for a long time. When we moved to a new house, a dishwasher was part of the package. We’d hate to be without it now. It was hard to go back to handwashing dishes when it broke down. We arranged for the serviceman pretty quickly!
11. airplanes – I like to travel. I like it best when I’m on the ground but a plane comes in handy to get from point A to B.
12. muffins and cakes – when it comes to food, I’m always fascinated by how people discovered various food combinations. I know many were discovered by mistake, but some combinations just don’t seem obvious at first. I’m so glad blueberry muffins were invented.
13. Internet – I can’t imagine life without the internet for both my writing, for learning new things and for meeting new people and keeping up with friends and family.
Which inventions are you thankful for?