I saw this recipe to make granola and thought I’d try it out. The end result was delicious, and I will definitely make it again.
3 cups rolled oats
1 cup shredded coconut (unsweetened)
1/4 cup wheatgerm
1 cup of your favorite nuts, roughly chopped (I used walnuts, pecan and almonds)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup maple syrup
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 large egg whites
1 1/2 cups dried cranberries
1. Preheat the oven 150C/300F
2. Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl (apart from the cranberries)
3. Add the maple syrup and the olive oil and mix thoroughly
4. Whisk the egg whites until frothy
5. Stir the egg whites into the granola and combine well
6. Place the granola on a lined tray and spread it evenly
7. Bake for 45 – 55 minutes until the granola is golden brown and it’s dry to the touch
8. Cool then break the granola into clusters
9. Add the cranberries and combine carefully
1. Don’t chop the nuts too small because they might burn.
2. I didn’t add as much salt as the recipe said.
3. If you don’t like cranberries, replace with the dried fruit of your choice.
4. Watch your granola carefully because you want it golden brown, not burnt!
5. I like my granola with yoghurt and sometimes make a yoghurt parfait, which is delicious.
In this parfait, I’ve layered thick Greek yoghurt with raspberry coulis and topped with a sprinkling of granola. Perfect for a weekend breakfast or brunch.
What is your favorite thing to eat for a lazy weekend breakfast?