This is a new recipe I made to use up some chickpeas. It’s simple and easy to make and tasty too. I’ll definitely make this again.
Note the cute bread roll, shaped like a small loaf of bread. We purchased a new tin in the weekend.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion – chopped
- 2 celery sticks – chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 600ml vegetable stock
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 400g can chickpeas , rinsed and drained
- 100g frozen broad beans
- zest and juice of ½ lemon
- ground black pepper
- coriander or parsley to garnish
1. Heat the oil in a pot and add the onion and celery. Fry until the vegetables are softened then add the cumin and fry for a minute.
2. Add the vegetable stock, tomatoes and chickpeas plus some ground black pepper. Simmer for ten minutes.
3. Add the broad beans plus the lemon juice and zest and cook until the broad beans are tender.
1. I didn’t have broad beans and substituted frozen soya beans. This worked well.
2. I served mine with a spoonful of natural yoghurt dropped in the top and a bread roll.
3. This soup is not only delicious, but it’s low in calories.
Source: BBC Good Food.com
My Fancy Free tour continues. Today I have spotlights at:
Ooh, yum! Vegetarian and low-cal! Right up my alley!
I really enjoyed this soup. It’s now in my keeper file.
Couldn’t wait to make this soup–showed to hubby and he said “don’t put any grubs in my soup”! He thought the celery looked like ugh! grubs. So I will slice some cabbage into it. I also will make your Two Pea Curry for tonight as I also have the ingredients on hand.
The soup was really good, and the recipe has gone into my keeper file. The double pea curry is also a great standby recipe, especially if you have vegetarian friends for dinner. It’s quick and easy, yet very flavorful.
That looks pretty good.
You don’t like chickpeas, right? You could probably replace them with potatoes (cubed)